Monday 1 March 2010

My People And Reductions...

As I sat in the partner's office listening to this couple explain their nightmare to the partner, all I could think of was, "why didn't you instruct a lawyer in the first place?". Only one answer made sense - "We're Ghanaian and we would rather do it ourselves than to pay a fellow Ghanaian to assist us". Interesting is what I thought.

After they had told the partner the entire story, it was agreed that an appeal will be lodged or a re-application. I was then asked by the partner to look at the file and the supporting evidence carefully to see if any action we take will be supported by law. Before the couple left, they offered to give me something small in cash or kind but I declined.

I spent the afternoon reviewing the documents they had submitted and realised that there was a problem. I looked up the law and found a solution. I discussed this solution with the partner who had no idea that this solution existed. He agreed and encouraged me to proceed in that direction. I telephoned the couple and arranged a meeting for the following day.

They turned up late as I expected after telephoning several times that they were on their way. As they sat before me listening to how I intended to proceed with their issue, all I could think about was discussing my fees. Eventually, the opportunity arose and I told them what I would charge. I spelt out my fees boldly and with a straight face. They nodded in agreement. I thought to myself 'whew, that was easy'. But boy was I wrong.

Happy that they were willing to pay me to carry out the service, I continued to advise them regarding their matter and the new application I intended to make on their behalf. As I explained that I would require at least half of my fees before I did any work, the wife said with a smile and in a Ghanaian language, 'brother, we beg you, reduce your fees for us'. Immediately she said that, the husband followed suit and included 'I wanted to ask you to reduce it but I couldn't'. I smiled nicely and said 'I would if I could but my hands are tired because it is the firm's policy. If they wanted any reduction, they would have to speak to the partner.' 

I told them I would get in touch and once my fees had been partly paid, I would commence work. In the mean time, I asked them to bring me further evidence.

Written & Edited by

Kow A. Essuman Esq.
LL.B. Hons (Westminster); PgDip (BPP); LL.M. (Cornell).
Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln's Inn); Attorney & Counselor-at-Law (New York).
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kowessuman

Sent from my HTC HD2 device.

No comments:

Post a Comment