Tuesday 13 March 2012

Is the University of Ghana, Legon, worthy of the title 'premier university'?

My cousin graduated over the weekend and I attended the graduation ceremony at the University of Ghana, Legon. Now UoG is supposed to be the premier university in Ghana. Premier in my opinion is a word used to qualify the first and best. You should expect nothing but the best from the premier university. Nothing even comparable to the rest, right? Now Accra comes to a standstill on graduation days and last weekend was no different. I arrived at the campus of Legon late but well dressed and in suede shoes. Boy, was I a fool to wear suede shoes to Legon's campus. The graduation ceremony was held on a dusty, dirty volley ball field. It was bloody hot with dust everywhere and no where to sit. I didn't even want to sit under such conditions. In no time did I realise that my suede shoes, which were black the last time I checked had now become brown. 


Anyway, I positioned myself close to the stage to witness my cousin accept her degree. About 200 names were called for the bachelor of arts degree and they had all been awarded a first class. I was astonished. 200 first class students in one graduation? It got me wondering how difficult or easy is it to get a first class if one studies at Legon. I jumped to the conclusion, and perhaps rightly so, that no wonder the rest of the world or at least the western world, don't respect graduates from Ghana. It surprises me that with all these first class degrees flying around, we have high graduate unemployment. Being awarded a first class means you are outstanding in your field. Yet we find most of these graduates with first class degrees who cannot analyse simple problems in their areas of studies, do research worthy of a first class or even put together a simple presentation. 

To me, the first class is a JOKE! That does not necessarily make the remaining classes of degrees jokes though. Besides the awarding of over 200 first class bachelor of arts degrees, the entire ceremony was hopelessly disorganised. Well one should not be surprised about that either because this is a school awarding first class degrees like they were birthday candy. All the graduates received was a handshake. Not even a piece of paper saying congratulations. Again, a hopelessly disorganised graduation ceremony by the premier university of Ghana. If Ghanaian academics and educationists allow this to go on at the premier university, then we should not be surprised at the level of mediocrity in government. Let me pause here before I get all political.

So we arrive at the restaurant for my cousin's graduation lunch. My dad comes out smiling and says to me "how many times do you want to graduate?" I am baffled. He explains that there is a sign outside the restaurant seating area which has my cousin's name and my name. He knows he gave the restaurant my cousin's name but has no idea where they got my name from. Ah well. What can I say? It was a lovely lunch and was very proud of my cousin. I gave a speech and her honour. 

To conclude, I do not think Legon deserves the title or is worthy of the title premier university of Ghana because it just is not.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

1 comment:

  1. 200 students out over 3000 graduands obtaining a first class to me is not surprising, but if you say they can't put their first classes or even exhibit a sense of ''first class'' in the work they do, then uv got a point there.

    ReplyDelete