Thursday 11 August 2011

Individual Ability is Only One Factor in Success

Good morning folks. So I'm reading or more like listening to this audiobook by Malcolm Gladwell called Outliers, The Story of Success and I can't help but relate. Gladwell makes the argument that success is not based solely on our individual ability. That is far too 'simple' he says. Circumstances that surround us determine our success such as when we were born, the community we grow up in, the people we have as friends and family, the timing of an opportunity and many other factors. Gladwell's argument is nothing new to me for I am living example. I always say to the people around me that God has mapped out my life so no matter the extent of the detour I take I'll always be back to the mapped out road. I never hesitate to let them know that if I had remained in Ghana post secondary, I would not have chalked any of my achievements at such an early age and most of all, I wouldn't have been a lawyer. So I agree with Gladwell 100 per cent for now. When I'm done with the book, I'll let you know whether that is still the position. God bless you today and have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment