Saturday 19 January 2013

A Day In History


I arrived in Accra at 1pm and headed straight for the Anglican Church at Burma Camp to witness my cousin, a lieutenant commander in the Ghanaian Navy, get married. I had been to the engagement a week ago and so I wasn't expecting a major crowd. Boy was I shocked when I arrived at the chapel. First of all, the parking spots were gone. I had to drive a few blocks to get parking and then I made my way to the church premises. The church was full up and they had set up tents with chairs outside for people to sit. Even those were all taken up and about twice the people who were in the church and seated under the tents, were standing outside. I said to myself "I didn't know my cousin was this popular".


She came out of the church with her husband, both of them smiling genuinely. Not one of those fake wedding smiles. Yes, she was extremely happy and the photo tells it all. The wedding was well attended by prominent people including a judge at the International Criminal Court, Prof. Akua Kuenyhia, who assisted in the cutting of the wedding cake.

Apparently, I take after this cousin of mine so much, although I hardly think so but we do have similarities. When she went to Morning Star School, I followed her. And then she became a lawyer, I became one too. In fact, I remember calling her once from London when she was in the Naval Academy to ask her about practising law in Ghana. She is the only lawyer I know that has the same blood I do, both paternal and maternal.

I titled this blog "A Day in History" because truly, that's exactly what it is. Naa Ayeley looked so beautiful and her handsome husband could not hide his joy either. To quote the words of a friend, "Prince William and Kate Middleton ain't got nothing on this pair" and I agree.



3 comments:

  1. come again bro are you sure of what you mean by same blood both parternal and maternal? it can only be one of it otherwise...............

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Apparently, I take after this cousin of mine so much"...don't really get it

    ReplyDelete
  3. is your cousin the daughter of your mother's sister and your father's brother?

    ReplyDelete